It may come as a surprise but Whitelines® has produced something that looks like a classic. With hard cover and linen cloth this book looks similar to many others on the outside but differ of course on the inside. Whitelines® Hard Bound Cloth books comes with orange and gray covers, with orange marker ribbons and in two sizes; A4 and A5.
Avaliable late summer at Whitelines Shop or in a store near you.
(If you are one of our precious retailers and want to place an order please contactRobert.)
“Some people actually get upset by that fact”
What is Whitelines?
– Whitelines is a lot! A life investment, a set of values, a company and of course our products.
What is your background? Are you an art director? Or industrial designer?
– No, I used to work as a musician and had idea generation as a hobby. I have always been fascinated by ideas. One day I took the lifeturning decision to change that relation, and since that point, ideas have been my focus area.
And what exactly was the origin of Whitelines paper?
– I was doing sketches and made photocopies of Sinko* when I got annoyed by the dark lines disturbing my sketch. I realized that this was a familiar but annoying insight. When we then started our product development work we also found that white lines on slightly colored paper gave a really nice reading and writing experience. Both for the eye and the brain. I was struck by the mission to make white lines available to everyone in the world.
And this idea didn’t occur somewhere else?
– No, not to our knowledge.
But, the idea is so simple?
– Yes, some people actually get upset by that fact…
A few years ago, everyone was talking about a paperless society, but as we all know it is not (yet) here. Why are people still using paper?
– I think the main reason is that people like the tactile connection you have to the media. The fingers want to interact with the pen and the paper. The graphical elements and the fonts you have access to via the computer is not very nuanced. Your creativity is limited to the copy. If you use your own handwriting you have so many more options to express yourself. To believe that paper should go out of fashion is like believing that we all should go to virtual reality vacations in the future. – I believe we always will want to experience the scents, the tastes, the feeling of the pen towards the paper.
You claim that Whitelines can support your creativity and yet it is just a paper? How?
– The most creative idea generation processes are structured and rather templated. Structure gives your brain the right support for free thinking. In the same way we claim that Whitelines paper gives your brain and your ideas support without inhibiting your creativity.
In your vision you say that you want everyone to free 1% more creativity in order to create a better world. What do you, yourself do, to live up to that?
– There is one thing that I carry out and I think we all should do. That is, to be kind to each other. The biggest threats to creativity are fear and old habits. Those in combination lead to potentially wasted creativity.
So I want everyone to be kind to each other, listen and not be too quick to draw conclusions in line with your previous experiences. They might be wrong you know…
Interview by Michaela Wickman
We were proud when two students on the optometry programme at Karolinska Institutet chose to make their exampaper on the case of Whitelines paper. The name of their work is: Evaluation of reading eye movements and comfort on different paper design.
The results of this study suggest a higher comfort and a higher read rate applicable to Whitelines ® paper. The study shows that Whitelines® paper is to be preferred.
Read the full report in Swedish or the summary in English
Just like Whitelines, an iPad magazine called “K Composite Magazine” believes that all people have ideas and a story to tell.
The magazine investigates the lives of unknown individuals with the same detailed attention, modern design and photography that is typically reserved for celebrities.
A very beautiful and democratic idea.
Free download in App Store.
Welcome to Whitelines Dave!
You have been working here for 4 weeks now, how do you feel about that?
It feels very good and positive. A great group to work with and an exciting and challenging job where things happen all the time!
Paper with white lines is a very simlpe innovation, is it easy to explain the benefits do you think?
The thing with white lines are so simple and obvious that it becomes difficult to understand. As soon as I get to show the product will they understand the great thing about the white lines, and the purpose.
Do you have a Whitelines ”elevator pitch” yet?
Maybe “Whitelines is a writing paper with white lines, the company are creative and innovative with development focus.” But working on a new one…haha!
What will be your biggest contribution at Whitelines?
My good humor, team spirit and contribute to a creative and honest way to highlight Whitelines on the market.
Ah, great! You are more than welcome!
If I’m interested in having Whitelines at my office, what do I do?
Call me at +46 (0)72 180 30 50
or e-mail me at dave.liljaatwhitelines.se
I won’t bite, haha!
Whitelines® Lab is a place where we are playing and experimenting with new ideas and concepts towards our goal to profoundly develop the use of pen and paper.
In Whitelines® Lab you will sometimes find crazy and never before seen ideas alongside practical grid papers and also more conventional inlays transformed into the Whitelines® way. Whitelines® Lab is also a place where we hope to meet you, your thoughts and your ideas!
The first products released under the wings of Whitelines LAB is:
– Corner Perspective Grid
– Tunnel Perspective Grid
– 16 Column Grid
– 24 Column Grid
Please let us know what you think about our Whitelines® Lab-products and we would very much like to hear your ideas of improvements or why not – a radical new concept that we could try in the Lab? It could be that your idea ends up being the next big thing in the Whitelines® family. Of course we want that to happen only if you are happy with it! Just send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to connect, or find us at Twitter or Facebook.
There are 300 limited copies of the 4 first products avaliable in Whitelines Shop right now. (The following 4; Dot grid, Tablet App Grid, Phone App Grid and Vertizontal will come soon soon)
Whitelines first Webshop is finally opened! So to all of you who has e-mailed/phoned/twitterd us about where you can buy our products; this one is for you!
World wide shipping. Free shipping for orders over 200 SEK in Sweden and 300 SEK rest of the world.
Lots of love from Whitelines team
Trough the years (only 5 but still) you have mailed us asking “where can I buy you products?”. Soon we have another answer to that which is on our own website! Keep you creative eyes open or send us an e-mail to get on to the “Tell me when you have opened”- mailinglist. See you soon!